Health dangers from being overweight
These problems are identified with overweight and obese adults
Adults with a BMI of greater than 25 (overweight
) or whose BMI is greater than 30 (obese
) have an augmented risk for several diseases and health conditions, including,:
Body Mass Index Prime is method of using the results of the BMI calculations to quickly and easily rank a person into a category. Eg:
- BMI Prime less than 0.74 = Underweight.
- BMI Prime greater than 0.74 and less than 1.00 = Optimal weight.
- BMI Prime greater than 1 = Overweight
BMI, sometimes known as the Quetelet index, is a measure used to estimate a person's body shape based upon a person' weight and height. It originated in Belguim around the 1840's by Adolphe Quetelet. It is a simple calculation based on the individual's body weight divided by the square of their height.
Do the sums
How Body Mass Index is actually calculated
- BMI = weight(kilograms) / height2 (metres2) (Metric Units)
- BMI = 703 . weight(pounds) / height2 (inches2) (Imperial Units)
BMI calculations do not differentiate between muscle mass and fat mass.See wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index#Limitations for more information